Monday, August 9, 2010

A Capital Friendship














I'll be leaving the Ottawa - Gatineau area today after arriving on Friday. I've had a very nice time visiting and staying with Therese & Denis along with their grown children Joêlle and Daniel. Denis is a long-time dear friend from deep in my past and I had never met his family so this was a special visit. We talked a lot, naturally, played some golf we don't talk about, naturally, played some good old 60's music on his guitars that would require some serious practice, naturally, and visited that "area" where all my tax dollars seem to vaporize... naturally.

Therese and Denis are getting to that point in their lives when the children are moving out (& in, & out & ...) so I expect all of us may be seeing a bit more of them as they increase the perimeter and scope of their holiday time in the next few years. Stay tuned.

I also had occasion to meet with another old friend, Hubert who now lives in the area along with his wife Louise (and their grand-daughter) whom again, I'd never met. They invited all of us over for a delicious BBQ (yes, it was steak) and we got acquainted over the evening. They've got a great place and a successful business happening so no changes are forthcoming any time soon in their lives. Hope it's not another +20 years until we all get to see each other once more.

From a biking perspective, this area of the country has much to offer. Because of the river networks, hills, and mature development, there's no shortage of roads to explore. Be forewarned though, this is Canada's political hub and as a result the population density in the area is very high. Many of the drivers are part of the machine responsible for all the "stuff" that consumes your tax dollars so you need to be extra defensive while riding your 2-wheeler anywhere near these high-functioning bureaucrats.

It's been fabulous being here if only for such a short time after so many years of separation. Though it seemed forever in the making, the visit flies by and it's that time again. Thanks Thérèse and Denis for your warm reception, and Joêlle, pour ta lesson de piano.

I'm off to Petawawa to meet with my nephew Jeff, his wife Natasha and their 2 boys. I'll be meeting his family for the first time, again...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,
    Good to see things are going well. Nice to meet up with the Veilleux's eh? Maybe we will all meet up in Kap next year for the high school reunion. As for us, we are in Sturgis with Rick, Deb's husband and Ryan. Weather so far is great, hot, hot. Today we are doing the mount Rushmore, crazy horse loop. We were in Deadwood, saloon #10 yesterday, my favourite place. Bob, this year the record for attendance will be broken, so many people this year and a lot of deaths already. Anyway, enough about me, I will keep you informed. Take care and keep us updated.
    Ger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob, it was a pleasure to have you ...a sheer delight. I had been looking forward to your visit and, now, I have but fond memories to reflect upon. From wall to wall, I enjoyed every moment ...even the arduous Sunday morning excursion on the "green" !! Thank you my friend, thank you for your presence and your authenticiy.

    See you down the road and all the very best cher ami,
    Denis

    ReplyDelete