Wednesday, August 18, 2010

US #2

Thought I'd share a quick word on US #2 Highway. I joined onto #2 at the west end of the Michigan peninsula and stayed with it throughout the northern states. It's got a few things going for it, particularly it's relatively quiet, in good condition and generally has a 120 kph speed limit. I've been on this highway twice before but that was in another lifetime it seems so this was a re-discovery. I'd recommend it as an alternate way to get out west if you're traveling through Southern Ontario. Gas is 10% cheaper right now and hotels are about 20% cheaper than in Canada.

The only issue is North Dakota. How do you spell b-o-r-i-n-g? It's like a Wednesday, you know, the hump of the week only there's no hump in N.Dakota. A better description would be the armpit of the week, but that would be unfair to armpits. Good to get through it in a day, which is exactly what I did: Grand Forks, ND to Glasgow, Mt. I'm being a little harsh on N. Dakota but unless you live there, there's no reason to dwell, if you know what I mean.

Montana on the other hand is a beautiful example of the transition that US#2 goes through, from prairie to range land to foothills to the Rockies. Riding south of Glacier National Park on #2 is special. I stayed on this highway to Bonner's Ferry in Idaho, until it was time to go north.

Oh yeah, one thing about getting to #2 from Ontario. If you're crossing into the States at the Soo, try doing it at night. I spent 1 hour on the bridge due solely to volume. Thank goodness it was a nice day and not too windy.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bob, You must of got a bad shift. I got to the Soo and there was only one bike in front of me. But then again, that was a different trip and a different year. Montana can be boring, oh ya. Good to see your winding down. Get some rest and I'll give you a call when I'm in your neck of the woods. Tonight I am in Santa Fe, New Mexico, to many beers and to many Margaritas...Good night.
    Ger

    ReplyDelete