Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Life After Netbook

As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in Trois-Rivières using my hosts' computer. The pathetic customer service I was provided by Samsung over the phone can be summarized by: ... your problems are not a warranty item and you'll need to send it in for repairs. Thank you, thank you very much. Bottom line is these posts will be fewer and far between I'm afraid.

The last 2 days have seen some interesting riding in NB and now Québec. Yesterday, I headed south out of Fredericton to see the Kingston peninsula. I ferried onto the peninsula from Westfield and shortly after, it began to rain. No problem, it's a warm rain out here. The unfortunate part was with the sun behind clouds, my navigational skills had to rely on signage. I've mentioned before that signage has been somewhat of an issue for a rider from a ferociously grid-patterned world, although frankly, NB is pretty reasonable for signage. Wet glasses and soggy maps just make it more necessary that you should notice and read the signs that ARE there. Long story short, between the rain and roads that never seem to intersect at 90 deg., when I thought I should be near Fredericton, I was coasting into Saint-John's airport. Oh well, the upshot is some great riding in the area. Didn't make it to Rivère-du-Loup obviously. I made it to Edmunston and truth be told, I thought I was doing good getting past Fred.

This morning it dawned on me to do a walk-around the Glide, you know, like we used to have to do daily. I've been slipping a little in this area and what I noticed was that the old rear tire was on its last ply so to speak. Well, change of plans time and decided to ride on a quieter highway on the south shore of the St-Lawrence, highway 132, in order to get to my hosts, Françoise & Armand's home. Wow. What a ride. Thoroughly enjoyed today. Quiet road, good pavement, awesome river scenes and towns with 300+ years pedigree. Somethings just seem to happen for a reason.

I'm spending tomorrow here and will have my tire changed to ride the great plains which is now only days to a week away.

4 comments:

  1. "The time has come... !!"

    C-U soon,
    Denis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny thing...
    I remember you giving me hell when I pulled into Red Deer with a bad looking back tire a couple years ago, remember :-). To bad about the netbook, this is such a neat thing. You will have to piggy back off friends and keep the story going, it's one in a life time, unless you are already planning for next year. I know I sure have enjoyed the ride even though I'm sitting in the garage drinking a beer and smoking a big cigar. It's like we've been your passenger the last 40 + days.
    Chrome side up.
    Ger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob; Your trip through the Maritimes has come to an end. I hope you enjoyed everything. Sorry to hear about your tire problem. At least you didn't blow the tire while riding.

    Ride safe!
    Erin and Nathan arrive today.
    Love Jude and Hans

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done well with only a brake issue and a tire on such a long trip.

    Denis B.

    ReplyDelete