Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Thanks for listening









I'm writing this last entry having arrived back home. Some of the statistics regarding the journey are as follows:
  • the entire trip lasted 68 days, 2 days short of 10 weeks.
  • I traveled over 16, 600 kms through 9 provinces
  • I met all but 2 individuals I had hoped to see.
  • I was delayed only 1 day due to rain
  • I ate no steaks in July
  • And the Glide ran, oh she ran well.
At one point, I found myself comparing my trip with the 70's movie, "Easy Rider". The parallels between my journey and the film are obvious in many ways, but there are some key differences. For one, at the end of the movie Wyatt says to Billy, "... we blew it...". Well, nothing could be further from the truth in my case. Another obvious difference is the ending of the film (and I don't think I'm giving anything away here) in which they were both blown away. So, they didn't have to ride back! And they didn't have to go through N.Dakota! (just kidding all you ND's reading this). And no, I didn't run into any Venusians.

This was about the trip that Candace and I had talked about doing and it validated why we wanted to do it: riding across the country to check out sights and roads we always wanted to see, meeting up with family, see longtime friends, and making new ones.

A sincere thank you to all of you for welcoming me along the road, listening to my stories, and being part of Sky To Sea.

2 comments:

  1. Bob,
    Thank you for allowing us to ride along with you. Even though there might of been stretches that you thought you were riding solo, you know as well as all of us, Candace was there, but remember so were all the rest of us following your every mile in this wonderful journey. I hope the glide doesn't rest to long and your back out there doing what we both like to do. See you soon.
    Gerry in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto with Gerry. It was nice catching up with you Bob after all these years and Candace was very much a part of the trip, no question there. I hope our paths will cross again soon...

    All the best to you and everyone else who, in there own way, were part of the journey. I will miss the log and the comments.

    Thanks,
    Denis

    ReplyDelete