Friday, August 13, 2010

North Bay




After leaving Petawawa, I figured I'd spend an evening with Patsy & Denis then hit the high plains in an effort to get home around the 15th. Yeah right. There was a few things I hadn't planned on that influenced me to move that date out a bit. I showed up at Denis' home in early afternoon and was quickly awed by what I saw. Their property is right on Trout Lake and 5 years ago, they lost their home to an all-consuming fire (wiring issues). Well, call me a graying ember and douse me with some water because out of that mess rose the Phoenix that I was to enjoy over the next couple of nights. Wow. Home & Garden should be called in to document this property. The house truly is a home run. There are guest rooms in the world, then there is "the" guest room. As in mine, fitted with a picture window overlooking the lake, with a sunset of course. So that probably gives you a sense of the accomodations I was provided with but that was just a start.

Denis & Patsy had invited a few folks over that night to celebrate, folks that Candace & I had known throughout high school and had partied with during those years. Before we got into supper, Denis took me out on his harley, a boat that he uses like we would use a vehicle to go to the store. You see, it's parked right outside his deck. We went across the lake over to Dale's place so I could meet with Dale (after 35 years or so). We headed back to Phoenix to get ready for the festivities. Adele & Dennis, Dale & Paula, Cathy & Andy all showed up for a pot luck supper of ribs, corn, chicken drumsticks, salads. Dee-li-shus. So now, I've been there for about 4 hours... I'll compress things at this point and say that the evening was wonderful, the weather cooperated and the fire by the lake was like icing on a cake.

The next morning, I was already commited to accompany Denis. He has this habit of filling his thermos full of coffee and going out for a slow cruise on the lake for his morning cup-o-joe. I enjoyed the ritual and think I would fall into the same routine if I lived on a lake. Somehow, going out for a coffee on the farmer's field just doesn't quite cut it. Anyhow, I didn't leave that day. Not hard to reason why. For the remainder of the day, a good walk and lounging around rounded off the visit, not to mention Dale & Paula dropping by.
Patsy & Denis, a big thank you for your hospitality, taking some time off, and setting up that great get-together. I appreciate your efforts.

I left Thursday morning and headed out towards the Michigan peninsula. After a couple of days of pushing the Glide in some hard riding, tonight I'm dipping my toe in Grand Forks, North Dakota grass. The Glide's still running great and seems to be hitting her stride on this trip so I should be in Montana tomorrow evening. There's been a lot of tornado activity today in Minnesota and North Dakota so I'm hoping that it's over for a while.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are on the home stretch Bob. Glad to have you back in Alberta. You'll have to come for a visit or we'll come by there. Love Janice and Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great seeing you Bob. It was the icing on the cake of a great summer. Let's keep in touch.

    Denis B.

    ReplyDelete