Saturday, August 14, 2010

Flat Lander Blues


I must be back in the west. Lots of activity out this way, particularly in the great plains with tornadic events, cooler temperatures, strong winds, and gray skies. I was grabbing for more layers today as I ran N.Dakota on my way to Montana. The Glide has her own way of reminding me that this just ain't her cup 'o tea. "How about squeezing that throttle just a bit more there Bob, that is if you want any more juice outa this old lemon". Reminds me of that Willy Dixon tune covered by Led Zep. Yes, gas is an expendable commodity when you're in oil country and the norwester's blowing. Where I would have had 1/3 of a tank full left earlier in my travels, I was on fumes landing in some towns.

Montana's big and I'm intending on going south of Glacier Nat. Park and coming up through Idaho and into Creston, BC. There's no way I can do that tomorrow so it looks like I'll be a foreigner for at least one more night, eh?. By the way, on the subject of nationalism, I was reminded by a billboard today that while we as Canucks feel pretty smug about our health insurance and such, the Americans have Busch Lite on sale, 24 cans for $14.95. And, while in no way associated with that, the next billboard was a pathetic plea for dietary discipline by parents and their family members. Capitalism nevers ceases to amaze.

So, if all goes according to plan, I'll be closing the Sky To Sea voyage by paying a visit to the East Kootenays in 3 days or so. Then it'll be on to home, sweet home. But for now, this is far from over.

2 comments:

  1. Heh Bob,

    Just catching up on you blog and, with respect to your stay at Denis and Patsy's home et comme on dit en français: "paradisiaque !!" n'est-ce pas? Nice to hear you had such a good time...

    All the best to everyone and Bob, thanks for having keeping us woven throughout your trip.

    Denis V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob,
    Time sure flies by when your having a good time eh? At least you don't have to go back to work. When I get back home at he end of the month we need to start looking at a Vegas trip. We can rent bikes and take off to the Hoover dam, beer and burger in Boulder City, who ever decides to come along and doesn't have a bike license can rent a convertible or maybe even a Lamborghini, they rent everything in Vegas. As for us we are in Leadville Colorado. What a neat place, we just came back from the second oldest saloon in Colorado (Silver Dollar Saloon). Doc Holiday spent a lot of time here between 1880 and 1886. Lots of weird weather here, hot, rain, cold, a little of everything. I will give you a call and see what your up to.
    Ger

    ReplyDelete